Ansha Kotyk - Fiction Author

A writer's blog

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Progress

Just keeping up the blog and letting you know how Draft #2 of The Book (I renamed it from The Librarian- I took out my librarian character, so the title seemed silly at that point).
As you can see I'm none too creative with my WIP titles.
That's okay, i can focus on that later.
Right now I'm happy to say I'm over 8,000 words on Draft #2 of what will probably exceed 50k. I'm pretty happy with that.
This second draft is definitely taking longer to add word count to. But I'm finding that I'm focusing on different aspects as I write it. Theme is a big one that I've been working on.
I think the theme of this story is: A boy trapped between worlds: the world between the comic book and the real world, and the world of the child he was and the world of the adult he is learning to become.

Okay so its passive phrasing. I'll have to rewrite it for clarity later. But you get the picture, external theme and internal theme linked. I like it. it took a while to come to this.
I kept focusing on my hero overcoming issues in his daily life, like the bully or his relationship with his dad. And then today it hit me that all of this is interrelated. I had been drawing arrows to it in my writing over and over. The adults in his life tell him he needs to grow up and behave like an adult and at the same time they continue to force him to play the child.
I find this theme fascinating because its something that we all go through during adolescence. The struggle between childhood and adulthood and the trauma that it causes in our lives.
So anyway, this is what my story is about. I hope I do it justice. (eh, positive thinking, I will do it justice with my current skill set... 10 years from now I'll read it and shake my head. ;)
Okay folks, I'm off to read and write!
Later.

1 Comments: